Kamdhenu University has been established by the Government of Gujarat vide Gujarat Act No.9 of 2009 which is referred to as "the Kamdhenu University Act, 2009". The Act was assented to by Hon'ble Governor of Gujarat on 7th July, 2009
The University is established and incorporated by the state Government as teaching and affiliated University for the development of Veterinary and Animal Sciences and for furthering the advancement of learning, conducting of research and dissemination of findings of research and other technical information in Veterinary and Animal Sciences including Dairy, Fisheries and allied sciences in the State of Gujarat.
The Government of Gujarat by Notification No. KPY-2012-VIP-392008-P1, Dated 13/08/2014 notified the 8th July, 2009 to be the date on which remaining provisions of the Act came in to force.
Head Quarter & Jurisdiction
The Head Quarter of the University was to be fixed by the Government. Accordingly, the Government vide Notification No. GHK-72-2014-KPY-2012-VIP-292008-P-1 dated 26th August, 2014 declared Gandhinagar as the Head Quarter of the University. The territorial jurisdiction and privilege of the University have been extended to the entire state of Gujarat in respect of all constituent colleges, research and experimental stations as well as affiliated institutes.
The Act envisages that no educational institutions imparting education, conducting and guiding research or conducting extension education programme in veterinary and allied science and situated in the jurisdiction of the University shall be associated in any way with any other University established by law.
A peep in the past
Idea of a Veterinary and Dairy University in Gujarat was first mooted in 1984 by late Dr. Varghese Kurien, Father of White Revolution in the country. He proposed a University of Dairy and Animal Science (UDAS), but before it takes a shape, Dr. Kurien who was the Vice-Chancellor of Gujarat Agricultural University resigned from the post. Again a proposal was floated by Government of Gujarat to established Veterinary University in 1996-97 and an ordinance was also promulgated. This ordinance died without any action. Thereafter in 2009, with the blessings of Hon'ble Chief Minister Shri Narendra Modi the Kamdhenu University Act was passed by the State Legislative Assembly. Thus, a new era of research and education in veterinary and allied sciences including dairy and fisheries has begin.
Power and functions of University:
Following are the powers and functions of the University
- To provide for education and instructions for undergraduate and post-graduate in veterinary and allied sciences and other branches of learning.
- To provide for conduct of research in veterinary and allied sciences and other branches of learning.
- To provide for dissemination of the findings of research, technology and technical information through extension education programmes
- To lay down courses of instruction for the various examinations.
- To hold examinations and to confer degrees, diplomas and other academic distinctions on persons who have pursued the approved courses of studies or have done research work in the University or in affiliated colleges or recognised institutions.
- To confer honorary degrees, diplomas and other academic distinctions as may be prescribed.
- To withdraw or cancel any degree, diploma and the academic distinctions conferred or granted by the University in the manner as may be prescribed.
- To provide for lectures, instruction and training to field workers, village leaders and other persons not enrolled as regular students of the University and to grant certificates to them as may be prescribed.
- To collaborate and co-operate with other Universities, and institutions in such manner and for such purposes as the University may determine.
- To establish and maintain colleges, schools, centres, Departments and Institutions relating to veterinary and allied sciences.
- To establish and maintain laboratories, libraries, research stations, institutions and museums for teaching, research and extension education.
- To create posts for teaching, research and extension education, administrative, ministerial and other purposes and to make appointment thereto.
- To institute and award fellowship, scholarships, stipends, medals, prizes and other awards.
- To establish, maintain and manage hostels and residential accommodations for students and staff of the University.
- To fix, demand, receive and recover such fees and other charges, as may be prescribed.
- To co-ordinate, supervise, regulate and control the residence, conduct and discipline of the students of the University, and to make arrangements for promoting their education, health and welfare.
- To make special provision for research and extension education in veterinary and allied sciences in relation to arid areas and areas prone to scarcity in the State of Gujarat.
- To institute and manage bureau of information and of employment for the benefit of students of the University.
- To make arrangement for training for competitive examinations for recruitment to services under the Government of India and the Slate Governments.
- To associate or admit educational institution with, or to the privileges of the University by way of affiliation, recognition or approval.
- To withdraw or modify either in whole or in part, affiliation, recognition or approval of educational institutions.
- To inspect colleges, recognised institutions and approved institutions and to take measures to ensure that proper standards of instruction, teaching and training are maintained in them and that adequate library and laboratory provisions are made therein.
- To lay down and regulate the scales of salaries and allowances and other conditions or service of the members of the teaching, other academic and non-teaching staff of the University. The scales of salaries and allowances shall be implemented with the approval of the State Government.
- To provide for the recognition of students' Unions or associations of teachers, academic staff or other employees of the University, affiliated colleges and recognised institutions.
- To hold and manage trusts and endowments.
- To do all such other acts and things incidental to the powers aforesaid as may be required in furtherance of the objects of the University.